Benefits of Bitter Gourd Juice (Karela Juice) | How to Make Karela Juice (Bitter Gourd Juice) At Home
Karela juice, also known as bitter gourd juice, is significant for health. It contains vitamins, antioxidants, and fiber, which aid in managing diabetes, weight loss, improving digestion, enhancing skin health, and strengthening the immune system. Its bitter taste can be gradually acquired by starting with a small amount and increasing it slowly.
How much karela juice to drink everyday
Start with about 30 to 50 ml of karela juice per day and gradually increase it based on your tolerance and health goals. Consult a healthcare professional before incorporating karela juice into your routine, especially if you have health conditions or take medications. Monitoring blood sugar levels and listening to your body’s response are important. Remember that moderation is key, and a balanced diet remains crucial.
How to Make Karela Juice:
Making karela juice, also known as bitter gourd juice, is a straightforward process. Follow these steps to prepare it at home:
2-3 medium-sized bitter gourds (karela)
1-2 teaspoons lemon juice (optional)
A pinch of black salt or regular salt (as per taste)
Water (for soaking and rinsing)
Instructions: Benefits of Bitter Gourd Juice (Karela Juice)
- Start by washing the bitter gourds thoroughly under running water. This helps remove any dirt or contaminants from the surface.
- Once washed, use a knife to peel the outer skin of the bitter gourds. Some people prefer to keep the skin on for its nutritional benefits, but removing it reduces the bitterness of the juice.
- After peeling, cut the bitter gourds lengthwise and scoop out the seeds and pith. The seeds and pith are the most bitter parts, so removing them helps reduce the bitterness of the juice.
- Chop the bitter gourd into smaller pieces. The smaller the pieces, the easier it will be to blend them.
- Place the chopped bitter gourd in a bowl and add a pinch of salt. This step helps to reduce the bitterness further.
- Let the bitter gourd pieces sit with salt for about 15-20 minutes. During this time, you might notice some water being released by the bitter gourd.
- After 20 minutes, rinse the bitter gourd pieces thoroughly under cold water to remove the excess salt.
- Now, take the rinsed bitter gourd pieces and put them in a blender or juicer. Blend until you get a smooth consistency.
- If you find the juice too bitter, you can add 1-2 teaspoons of lemon juice to balance the flavors.
- Strain the blended mixture through a fine mesh strainer or cloth to separate the juice from any remaining solids. Press the mixture with a spoon to extract all the juice.
- Your karela juice is now ready to be consumed. You can refrigerate it for a while before serving or add ice cubes for a refreshing touch.
- Remember that the juice might still have a slightly bitter taste due to the nature of bitter gourd, but the soaking and rinsing steps help reduce its intensity.
Enjoy the health benefits of homemade karela juice!
Benefits of Bitter Gourd Juice (Karela Juice)
- Diabetes Management: Karela juice is renowned for its ability to regulate blood sugar levels. It contains compounds that mimic insulin and help improve glucose utilization, making it beneficial for individuals with diabetes.
- Weight Management: Bitter gourd is low in calories and high in fiber, making karela juice an excellent addition to weight management plans. It aids digestion, controls appetite, and supports healthy metabolism.
- Digestive Health: The fiber content in karela helps promote digestive health by preventing constipation and improving bowel movements. It also stimulates the secretion of digestive enzymes, aiding in efficient digestion.
- Antioxidant Boost: Karela is rich in antioxidants, including vitamins A and C, which help combat oxidative stress and protect cells from damage. These antioxidants contribute to overall health and immune system support.
- Skin Health: Bitter gourd’s antioxidants and vitamins contribute to healthy skin. Regular consumption of karela juice may help improve complexion, reduce acne, and slow down signs of aging.
- Liver Health: Karela juice is known to support liver function by aiding in detoxification and promoting the elimination of harmful substances from the body.
- Blood Purification: Bitter gourd juice has blood-purifying properties that can help cleanse the blood and remove toxins, contributing to overall health and well-being.
- Heart Health: The fiber, potassium, and folate content in karela contribute to heart health. It helps lower cholesterol levels, maintain healthy blood pressure, and reduce the risk of heart diseases.
- Immune System Support: The vitamins and minerals in karela juice, particularly vitamin C, strengthen the immune system, helping the body fend off infections and illnesses.
- Cancer Prevention: Some studies suggest that the bioactive compounds in bitter gourd may have anti-cancer properties. The antioxidants and phytochemicals in karela may help inhibit the growth of cancer cells.
Note: While karela juice offers various health benefits, its bitter taste can be challenging for some individuals to tolerate. It’s recommended to start with small quantities and gradually increase intake. Also, individuals taking diabetes medications should consult a healthcare professional before incorporating karela juice into their routine, as it may affect blood sugar levels.